I work as an assistant professor at the department of Experimental Psychology at Utrecht University. My main research interest is the role bodily experiences play in psychiatric conditions. In my eating disorder related research I mostly focus on oversized experiences in anorexia nervosa patients. Often patients with anorexia nervosa experience their body as bigger than it actually is. I approach this phenomenon from a neuropsychological perspective. In previous work I have for example looked at somatosensory processing, tactile size perception, visual size perception, multisensory integration, bodily illusions, and body-scaled action in anorexia nervosa patients. Based on my previous research I developed, in collaboration with Jose Bonekamp (psychomotor therapist) and Manja Engel, a new therapeutic intervention (www.hoepeltraining.nl) that aims to reduce body image problems.
I co-supervise several PhD students. Manja Engel focuses on body representation disturbances in currently ill and recovered eating disorder patients in her PhD project. Jojanneke Bijsterbosch focuses on the role of intolerance of uncertainty in body image disturbances in adolescents with anorexia nervosa.For more info on my work, please check http://www.anoukkeizer.com
- Too fat to fit through the door: First evidence for disturbed body-scaled action in anorexia nervosa during locomotion.
- Hoop training: a pilot study assessing the effectiveness of a multisensory approach to treatment of body image disturbance in anorexia nervosa.
- A Virtual Reality Full Body Illusion Improves Body Image Disturbance in Anorexia Nervosa.
- Does the experience of ownership over a rubber hand change body size perception in anorexia nervosa patients?
- Aberrant somatosensory perception in Anorexia Nervosa.
- Tactile body image disturbance in anorexia nervosa.
- The Effect of a Virtual-Reality Full-Body Illusion on Body Representation in Obesity.
- Women with Anorexia Nervosa do not show altered tactile localization compared to healthy controls.
- The Role of Age on Multisensory Bodily Experience: An Experimental Study with a Virtual Reality Full-Body Illusion.
- Body representation disturbances in visual perception and affordance perception persist in eating disorder patients after completing treatment.
- A Novel Technique for Improving Bodily Experience in a Non-operable Super-Super Obesity Case.
- Virtual Reality Body Swapping: A Tool for Modifying the Allocentric Memory of the Body.
- Walking through apertures: do you know what you are doing during body-scaled action?
- Lichaamsbeleving 2.0: Een neurowetenschappelijke kijk op ‘jezelf dik voelen’ bij anorexia nervosa
Click here to view my articles on pubmed.